Annual Well Woman Exam - Anchorage, AK
What is an annual well woman exam?
Overall assessment of:
The annual well woman exam is an essential part of your ongoing health maintenance. It is a once-yearly exam that assesses your gynecologic and sexual health. During your exam, your physician may recommend certain tests, such as Pap tests, breast exams, blood work or other routine tests.
A normal annual well woman exam includes the following assessments:
- Height, weight and Body Mass Index (BMI)
- Overall health status & physical activity level
- Menstrual health
- Sexual health & sexual activity, including contraceptive use
- Tobacco, alcohol & drug use
- A gynecological physical, which includes abdominal, breast and pelvis exams
- Health screening tests, as recommended (i.e. Pap test, cholesterol levels, mammograms, etc.)
- Review of relevant medications and refills
Other tests/exams that may be performed during your annual well woman exam can include:
- Vaccinations for the flu, human papillomavirus (HPV) & COVID-19 (including boosters)
- STD/STI testing for chlamydia, gonorrhea, etc.
- HIV testing in sexually active adolescents & adults
Well woman exam vs. Annual physical
While an annual well woman exam does bear some similarities to an annual physical exam, it is not a substitution for your annual physical with your general practitioner. The intent of the annual well‐woman visit is for routine health maintenance with a focus on gynecological health; it is not a head-to-toe assessment of your comprehensive health. If you have specific medical problems or conditions, particularly those that do not pertain to your gynecological health and wellness, please schedule an annual physical or check-up with your general practitioner.
If you have additional gynecological health questions or issues you would like to address with your physician during your well woman exam, please let the Front Desk know when making your well woman exam appointment so they may schedule additional time accordingly.
Are well woman exams covered by insurance?
Well woman exams are typically covered by most insurance providers. If you are evaluated for a problem‐oriented issue by your provider (e.g., infections, sexual dysfunction, abdominal bleeding, back pain, sleeping problems) during your well woman exam, you or your insurance provider may be responsible for additional fees, as problem‐oriented visits usually necessitate a separate office visit. Please review your insurance coverage for information on what is covered as part of your well woman visit.
Can I get a well woman exam near me?
Denali OB-GYN offers well woman exams to patients in our Anchorage, AK clinic. Contact us today to schedule an appointment with your provider or request a well woman exam.